Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. We've united under a common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. It's a lofty goal, but it's one we're committed to seeing through.
The Medical Staff Services Department includes a team of staff members who support the functions of the Medical Staff Organization at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center and the providers who are part of the Medical Staff Organization. This includes the credentialing process for all Initial and Reappointment applications/maintaining credentials; prepare, attend, and perform follow up for medical staff department and committee meetings; support and management of Medical Staff meetings; support role as relates to regulatory and accreditation compliance; support to our Medical Staff Leadership, Department Chair, and Committee Chairs.
This position requires excellent writing skills!
If you are looking to grow in your career, this is the perfect opportunity for you! Our team members are afforded a wide range of experience and knowledge to enhance their career in Medical Staff Services. Continuing education is a very crucial aspect of career growth within the department, as such, educational opportunities are supported and encouraged via the Banner Health Medical Staff Day of Learning, independent study programs via the Arizona Association of Medical Staff Services, credentialing courses via the National Association of Medical staff Services.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides highly skilled support via liaison representation to committees, medical staff departments, physicians, and other hospital personnel under moderate supervision.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Coordinates all aspects of assigned medical staff committees including compiling agenda material, accurately documenting minutes, compiling follow-up memos and letters, researching and preparing information for chairs, and providing professional assistance to various chairmen regarding privileging, credentialing, reappointment, and medical staff rules and regulations as outlined in the medical staff bylaws.
2. In consultation with the director, provides administrative support for hearing committees. Serves as a resource for medical staff members regarding medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, hospital and medical staff policies, regulatory requirements and parliamentary procedure. Assists in drafting correspondence ensuring compliance with established bylaws, rules and regulations. May coordinate GME and/or CME functions and processes.
3. Under direction, liaises between medical staff and administration, communicating sensitive and confidential issues including peer review. Interacts directly with a variety of internal and external customers. Uses judgment and discretion to maintain peer review protection to hospital and medical staff.
4. Understands and maintains an accurate, secure and updated database of physician and allied health information to query on basic demographic profiles including but not limited to staff privileges and status for other hospital departments and facilities requiring this information. Uses various internal databases to gather and analyze physician and allied health data used in the reappointment, peer review and quality improvement processes of the medical staff and board of directors.
5. Coordinates processing of all aspects of physician and allied health credentialing and reappointment processes within appropriate timeframes ensuring the quality of the practitioners providing patient care. Assures the completeness and accurateness of the credentialing process. Requests additional information from external medical if necessary. May obtain and log expired credentials on a monthly basis according to rules and policies. Monitors the progress of physicians through the supervision period, assisting department chairs with the appropriate procedures, forms and time limits.
6. Collects and compiles data for physician and allied health quality profiles to analyze practice patterns using data to determine performance. This includes working with senior staff, department chairmen, quality staff, and other hospital staff to identify sources of data and methods of presenting and analyzing data.
7. Manages the preparation, distribution and maintenance of the physician emergency department call schedules.
8. Requires high degree of confidentiality and critical decision making. Requires moderate direction and guidance. Has complex relationships with members of the administrative staff of the hospital, members of the medical and affiliated staff, medical staff officers, medical staff department chairs, section chiefs, physician and other professional applicants, attorneys, medical staff professionals at other facilities, state licensing bodies, other departmental personnel and patients. All require courtesy, tact, patience, cooperation and confidentiality.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Must possess strong knowledge of medical office administration as normally obtained through 1-2 years experience in a healthcare, paralegal, managed care or credentialing. Requires knowledge of medical terminology and professional physician interface. Requires experience interacting with physicians in highly sensitive situations. Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Requires astute judgment in human relations skills to interface and communicate in an articulate manner with medical staff, administrators, legal counsel and hospital personnel. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Requires the ability to work with common office software and equipment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Two years of college education is preferred. National Certification as a Medical Staff Services Professional is preferred. Knowledge of medical staff computer software programs is desirable. Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R3508
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.